Monday 22 October 2012

Like Crabcakes But With More Awesome Stuff Inside



            So I have had this idea for a new recipe rolling around in my head for a while now and I have been picking away at how to pull it off. Ingredients have been added and subtracted more than a few times and I have finally settled on how to tackle making a really good seafood cake. It is like a crab cake just with more stuff in it. The want to take on this recipe came out of a brunch that my buddy Toby and I had months ago at a Caribbean joint in our town called The Reef. I ordered a Crab Cake Eggs Benedict and it was fantastic. I have been threatening my friends with trying to come up with a post for a seafood cake, I even made some for a get together but they were not what I wanted them to be. I think that I have found the magic because these bad boys are pretty kick ass.

            As I have stated before it is great to live where I do. I am talking bounty. We can get our hands on some of the freshest ingredients including fantastic seafood. I would be remiss in my cooking if I did not take full advantage of this. I have to give a huge thank you, in this post, to a friend of my Grandfather’s. A gentleman and a hell of a guy named Eldon. Eldon joined us for a Thanksgiving meal and he and I chatted about, among other things, the fact that his son had a fishing boat and that they would go out and catch their limit which included fresh shrimp, salmon, and all sorts of tasty other things. I joked with him that if his freezer was getting too full that I would be happy to take some off his hands. It was an offhand comment and I thought nothing more about it. A few days later I returned home to find a bag hanging on my door knob. Inside there was a whole host of treats from the sea and a note from Eldon saying simply Thanks for the great Thanksgiving dinner. Like I said he is a gentleman and a hell of a guy. So putting some of his gifts to use and adding a few from my local fish market I give to you Johnny’s Seafood Cakes.

Seafood Cakes to the tune of Under the Hurricane by Blitzen Trapper

1 onion diced small
100g crab meat, fresh is best
150g peeled shrimp chopped depending on their size
1 Basa fillet cut into small cubes
100g salmon cut into small cubes, I used some home smoked salmon to add a little bit of extra flavour but you can definitely use some good fresh stuff
1 cup bread crumbs
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
1 egg yolk
1 ½ tbsp fresh chopped dill
Zest of 1 lemon
Splash of hot sauce, Franks Red Hot, Tabasco, or whatever brand you favour
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

-Sweat the onions in a small sauté pan over medium heat until they turn translucent and then remove from the heat.


-In a large mixing bowl mix together all of your seafood and half your bread crumbs. Add in your mayo, sour cream, egg yolk and mix it up. If the mixture is too loose add some more bread crumbs. You should be able to form the mixture into a patty that holds together on its own. Add in your onions, salt and pepper, dill, lemon zest and hot sauce and mix again.


-Form the mixture into patties about the size of the palm of your hand and dredge in the remaining breadcrumbs. Set aside.

-Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Gently place your cakes in the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes on one side, flip, and fry for another minute until both sides are golden brown.


-Remove from the pan and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Fire in the oven and bake for about 7 minutes or so to finish cooking them all the way through.


-Serve with a simple salad of tomatoes or whatever you normally eat with crab cakes. You are done. Killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment