Thursday 18 October 2012

Pochetta because.... Well Why Not Really



            So there I was thinking of having some friends over for dinner and the question arose, as it always does, what am I going to feed these folks? I started to think about the food that I have had out and if anything struck me. I was taken back to a meal that I had at the Clay Pigeon bistro and I had it.... Porchetta. I started moving through my cook books and found a few recipes and managed to cobble out one of my own. Porchetta is a pork loin that is stuffed with herbs and then marinated in wine. It is then roasted. It is super tasty and is killer on sandwiches the next day. Now I had an epic fail in making this recipe in that the crackling did not turn out at all. I am sorry to all who had to push it to the side of their plate and I am even sorrier to the people who scarfed it down only to realize that it sucked. It did not crisp up the way I wanted it to, so to fix it I recommend removing the skin and frying it further so it becomes that crispy awesome that you want it to be. So here is Porchetta, it is totally worth giving a go.

Porchetta to the tune of..... The whole new Mumford & Sons album. You got the time.

A big chunk of pork loin, ribs removed and trimmed out so that it lays flat and is easily rolled. Your butcher will do this for you if you don’t want to do it yourself.

Rosemary, stalks removed
Thyme, stalks removed
7 cloves of garlic minced
 ½ cup olive oil, the best that you have
1 bottle of red wine, one that you would drink on its own

-In a blender or food processor blend your rosemary, thyme, garlic and oil until you get a thin sort of paste.

-Lay out your pork in a pan, skin side down and then spread the paste over the meat, coating evenly.


-Add the wine to the pan until it is almost all of the way up the sides of your meat.

-Cover and let marinate for 2 days in your fridge at the very least.

-Preheat your oven 375 degrees. Remove the pork from the marinade and roll and tie. As my Grand would say, like a jelly roll.

-Roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Let it rest and then slice it up. I served mine with roasted root vegetables. It was pretty darn tasty. So give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. Johnny, do you recommend taking the skin off before or after you roast it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would lean more towards doing after as you can crisp up the skin as you are letting the meat rest and you still get all of the pork fatty goodness while you are roasting.

      Delete