Saturday 20 October 2012

Soup is on for Gramps and Kelly



            There is something that I find truly wonderful about the autumn. The turn from tee shirt to sweater weather and the move towards warm and comforting food makes me smile. There is nothing better than coming home, all rosy cheeked, and sitting down to a warm bowl of soup. It is a sort of homey and comforting sort of a thing. I have been playing with soups more and more as the weather has started to get crisp. This one is a favorite of my Grandfather and I try to make it for him whenever I head back to my home town. So from my Gramps’ heart through my kitchen I give to you soup to warm you up on a chilly autumn day.
           
This one also goes out to my friend Kelly who as I write this is embroiled in a seemingly very intense fitness challenge thing. I do not pretend to know anything about it but I have read the restrictions she has to abide by and this recipe is easy and quick and with the omission of the milk products abides by all of the rules. Without the milk it freezes really well so you can portion it, freeze it, and then grab and go. I know that going to school, working, and attempting to do something like a fitness challenge can be tough and more than a little daunting. So this one is for you too Kel, good job and keep it going. I will make you something fatty and awesome when you are done. I might even take a swing at making some pumpkin scones because I know that is what you are really missing the most.


Carrot Soup with Ginger and Dill to the tune of Split Screen Sadness by John Mayer

6 carrots peeled and roughly chopped

3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp dill, fresh is best
1 liter of vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
¼ cup milk or cream (optional)

-Put your stock in a pot over medium high heat, add your carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it work until the carrots are tender.

In a small sauté pan over medium heat gently fry you garlic in the olive oil. When your kitchen is filled with the awesome smell of cooked garlic, dump the garlic into your soup pot.

-Add in your ginger and dill and let it work for a couple of minutes. Blend the soup until it is smooth. I use my emersion blender but you can use a standard type blender or a food processor.

-Add your milk if you want a creamier texture if you want to keep it Vegan add a little bit of water or stock to thin the soup out a little. Go slow and use you judgement and you should be fine.

-Serve with a little bit of crusty bread to sop up every last bit of goodness and you are good to go. Enjoy.

1 comment: