Thursday 1 November 2012

A Grand Reception for Jill and Sean Part 1



            There are many things that make me smile really big and true. Amongst them are really good food, really old scotch, long walks on the beach and curling up by the fire on a cold winter night.... wait that is a different web site. Anyway, having two friends tie the knot is one of those smiling things. This just happened with my Friends Jill and Sean. They got married away from the town in which we live but, sweethearts that they are, they are planning to do a reception for those of us who could not make the journey. They asked if I would take care of the food for this reception and of course I said yes. We discussed what they wanted and we decided to do a cocktail party slash tapas sort of a thing. I designed the menu and we had a tasting and now I am going to share the recipes with you my lovelies. This will be a two or three part post so stay tuned.

            The challenge in this little endeavour is that Jill, whom you have met in this blog, is a fish and bacon eating vegetarian and her beau is a confirmed carnivore. So we have split the menu right down the middle. So today we will take on the fish and bacon part of Jill’s side and we will rock some charcuterie for Sean. I have heard that Bacon referred to as a gateway protein. It is apt because I know more than a few vegetarians who will eat bacon and even more who when asked will admit to dreaming about it. Such is the power of bacon. So here is Jilly’s first dish. Enjoy.

Asparagus wrapped in Prawn wrapped in Bacon to the tune of Fell in Love with a Boy by Joss Stone.

8  21/25 count raw prawns
4 strips of good side bacon cut in half
8 asparagus spears trimmed
2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic minced

-Butterfly your prawns, place a spear of asparagus in the center then wrap in bacon and secure with a tooth pick

-In a medium sized sauté pan over medium low heat, melt your butter and gently fry your garlic. Add your wrapped goodies and cook until the bacon is crispy and the prawns turn pink. Remove and serve. You are done. So good and so easy, give it a go.

            On to the charcuterie, the trick to a really good charcuterie board has less to do with techniques and more to do with the quality of the ingredients that you use. Part of the fun that I have when I am putting a recipe together is sourcing out really good meats and cheeses. Talking to the people who sell the stuff is awesome. They will move you in a better direction than you originally thought possible. Such is the case with Sean’s first offering. So I will put in my thanks to a couple of folks who had a hand in making this board great. My first thanks goes out to Tomas who runs Chorizo and Co. a Spanish deli. This joint makes killer sandwiches and carries some pretty solid ingredients, including of course chorizo. Tomas also gave me this little tip to balance out the spice in the sausage. Adding a little bit of honey as you fry the chorizo it is a killer tip that totally makes the chorizo sing. So I send my thanks to Tomas. The next stop is to pick up some good cheeses. I hit up Hillary’s and the young lady, whose name I never got, helped me pick out some awesome stuff to set up the board. Cheeses to pair with the other stuff going onto the board. She set me up with some fantastic goat’s milk camembert, apple wood smoked cheddar and some fresh chevre. All this stuff worked out in epic fashion. So thanks for all the help. 
 
Sean’s Charcuterie Board to the tune of Don’t Let Me Down by The Beatles

2-3 good quality chorizo sausages sliced
1-2 tbsp honey
1 round of Goat camembert cheese
1 baguette, sliced
Really whatever else you want to put on the platter. Some suggestions would be pickles, smoked salmon, or a pate of some sort.

-In a medium sized sauté pan fry your chorizo to heat it through. Add your honey and let it liquefy and coat the chorizo.

-Fire everything onto a platter or a wooden cutting board and serve. It is totally easy and equally awesome. There is the first set of tapas. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment