Wednesday 23 May 2012

Thai Pork Slider which Won the Day



            Everybody that I know is a fan of the idea of a good grilled burger right about now. After writing about Johnny’s rock star sides I wanted to play with some different flavor combinations to add to your burger mix. One of the easiest ways to do this is to experiment on your friends. Invite some people over, fire up the grill and see which ones worked out the best. I decided to make up a few different mixes and do sliders so that we could all try all of the different types I put together. Now I am going to say right now that I am a huge fan of the basic burger but I wanted to try some new stuff so I did. So after we ate, we had a little impromptu vote about which slider won the day and a Thai inspired pork slider took home the prize. I know it is the furthest thing from a traditional burger but my people have spoken and that was the one that they liked the best, so we call it a twist on a burger.

            A little bit of a side note here. I have become a big advocate of the home grind. As you have seen from the sausage post I have, due to the kindness of my friends, the ability to grind my own meat. The fact that you can choose the cut of meat you use, control the fat content and put your seasoning in the mix are all great reasons to grind at home. There is nothing wrong with buying ground meat but there is something wonderful and, for lack of a better word, fresh about doing it yourself. It makes me smile and the results that I have had with doing it has been fantastic. If you have the means give it a try and I don’t think you will go back to buying the ground stuff in your supermarket.

            Another little piece of advice: Buy fresh baked buns. They are worth the scratch you will spend. Just saying.

Thai Inspired Pork Sliders to the tune of Thursday by Morphine

1 lb of freshly ground pork
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Salt and pepper
½ onion sliced and sweated
1 tbsp butter
8 small buns

-Mix up pork, curry paste, chilli sauce and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.

-roll into balls (8ish) and then flatten into patties.

-fire them on the grill and cook them up. They are done when they are firm when you give them a poke with your finger.

-while the sliders are cooking sweat down your onions in a frying pan with the butter and a little salt and pepper.

-toast you buns on the grill while the sliders are resting. Bottom of the bun, burger, onions, top of the bun, Done. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment