Wednesday 23 May 2012

Rock Star Sides for the Grilling



            Now is one of my favorite times of year. We are getting the freshest possible seafood and all of the glorious springtime produce is becoming available. Beyond that the farmer’s markets are beginning to hit full swing. Locally produced veggies and herbs are now at my disposal and man do I plan to put them to work in my kitchen. There is nothing really as cool to me as walking through a market on a beautiful day and seeing the stuff that I will be cooking with, laid out before me, knowing that it had been in the ground a few hours earlier. Fresh don’t get much better than this.  Now is the time that I instinctually try to start stripping down ingredient heavy recipes to the very basics. If you have fantastic products, baby, let them shine. So here we go with a couple of recipes for some very simple side dishes that will accompany your back yard grilling because as soon as the weather turns nice we should all be out cooking in the great outdoors; or at least the backyard.

            So for the first little dish I am harnessing the awesome power of my Grand once again. There are few things in this world that I know my Grand loved more than words: her family, a little nip of something before dinner and the glory of asparagus and bacon. So I give this to you in honor of the springtime and my Grand. This can be used as a side, an appetizer, or as part of a breakfast dish that I know that Toby drools over as soon as he hears that it is being made. The cool thing about it is that it has three ingredients and is wicked fast. You also look like a rock star when you serve it. How can you beat that? I am not sure but it rules.

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus to the tune of Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra

A bunch of fresh asparagus
1 lb maple smoked bacon
1 lemon

-Trim the bottoms of the asparagus. There is a bit of a debate about how to do this. One is aim for the change in color of the stem, tan to vibrant green, and cut there. The other is to flex the stem and it will break where the tenderness starts. Either way will work and I have no preference at all. Just do one or the other to get rid of the woody bits at the bottom.

-Wrap each stem with a slice of side bacon. You should not need to salt this dish as the salt from the bacon should do it for you.

-Slap them on the grill and let them work. You want the same look as you would if you were making bacon for breakfast. By the time that the bacon is done the asparagus should be too.

-Yank them off and finish with a squeeze of lemon and you are done. Killer.

            Now you have one of the sides done. I always like to do a salad as part of any grilling meal that I put together. This one worked out great and was super tasty and fresh. A couple of little hints for you all first of all. For the dressing that I make for this salad I use a Balsamic Vinegar reduction, sounds fancy huh? Basically you take some moderately priced balsamic and chuck it into a pot and let it cook down for about 45 minutes or until it is reduced by half. This intensifies the sweetness and the subtle flavors of the vinegar and you are left with something that is amazing for salad dressings or even for finishing veggies. It keeps in fridge for a long time. The second little tip is that I sort of pseudo candy the nuts. Basically you toast your almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts or whatever you are using and in the last couple of minutes add in a tbsp of brown sugar, a squeeze of honey, and a touch of water. Let it cook down so they are sticky and no longer wet. Remove from the heat and let them cool. You will be tempted to give them a try hot out of the pan. Resist. Trust me after many burns to the fingertips and tongue, I now know to let them cool. A special thanks to my friend Fyfe for constructing this salad while I was ripping around do other things. So we will call this salad a la Fyfe.

Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Goat’s Cheese A La Fyfe to the tune of Baba O’ Reilly by the Who

Salad Part

Big bowl of well washed spinach
8-10 strawberries sliced the way you like them.
Some crumbled goat’s cheese
Pseudo candied almonds and sunflower seeds

-Chuck everything in a bowl and toss... Done.


Dressing Part

Equal parts olive oil and Balsamic reduction
Salt and pepper

-Toss everything in a bell jar and shake the crap out of it. Dress the salad like you are going out for a night on the town. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment