Tuesday 15 May 2012

A Little Something For Momma Condor


The Finished Product

            The air is full of love for the mothers of the world and I feel like I would be remiss if I didn’t send some love out to my mom as it is both Mother’s day and my Mom’s birthday. So a little bit about my mom: she managed to raise a pain in the ass kid, that would be me, and play the dual role of mom and dad. She taught me a lot including the basics of how to cook but a crazy love for the greatness of true rock and roll. She likes her music classic and she likes it loud. When my mom was a kid my uncle John teased her that one could hear her music three towns away. I grew up with the sounds of Deep Purple, The Who, and AC DC ringing through our home. I knew all the words to “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by the age of five. Truly my Mom and I were a family who got the Led out. She is the major reason that all of my postings have some form of music in them. So for the love of music that she instilled in me I say thanks. And this one is for you Mom. All My love.

            I feel as though I need to send a little love out to my grandmothers in this post as well. For as much as I was pushed, lovingly, into the kitchen by my mom I spent most of my youth getting kicked out of them by my grandmothers. Always lovingly, these ladies ruled the kitchen of my youth with an iron fist. You did not mess with their area. Sneaking a premature taste of something that was not ready got you a smack across the ass with a wooden spoon. So I will thank them for teaching me what little patience I have. I can hear them laughing at me every time I burn my tongue.

            On to the food now, my mom always ended up with the sort end of the stick when it came to my Grand baking pies. My Gramps loved lemon and apple, I favored cherry and my poor mom loved strawberry and rhubarb. She very rarely got her favorite. Growing up in the Okanagan Valley we have fresh apples and cherries every summer. Gramps' lemon came from a box so my sweet mom was left out in the cold when it came to pies. So, in an attempt to remedy this oversight in pastry, here is my Mom’s favorite kind of pie, made with love for her birthday.

Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie to the tune of “Whole Lotta Love” by Led Zeppelin

Quick short crust pastry

This is enough for one large and one small pie.

3 ½ cups flour
1 cup icing sugar
1cup + 2 tbsp cold cubed butter
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Splash of milk
Pinch of salt

-Throw the butter, flour, salt and sugar onto a big mixing bowl and crumble the butter with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.

-Add in your wet ingredients and gently bring the mix together. Do not over work it. There is no need to knead. When the mix is a smooth solid mass wrap in cling film and refrigerate for no less than a half an hour, overnight is better. Roll out the dough  and line a pie plate then roll out a lid.

-Now you have your pastry. This recipe works for any and all fruit pies and it is delish.

Filling

1-1  ½ lbs strawberries quartered
1 lb fresh rhubarb sliced
½ +½ cup sugar
1 egg whisked

-Toss the rhubarb and ½ cup of sugar into a large sauté pan over medium heat and let it cook until the rhubarb is al dente about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

-Mix together the rhubarb, strawberries and the remaining sugar.

-Dump the filling into the pie shell. Paint the edges with the egg wash. Top with the lid and crimp together with the bottom shell. Paint the lid with the egg wash, sprinkle with a little sugar and poke some holes in the lid with a knife.

-Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60-65 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Let cool and serve with some vanilla ice cream.

Happy Birthday Momma, I love you tons.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment