Monday 5 November 2012

A Grand Reception for Jill and Sean Part 2



            And we carry on with Jill and Sean’s impending reception and it seems that I am in a playful mood. There is very little that has not been done or at least attempted in the world of food, I am sure that more progressive people have tried and succeeded in doing the things that I am doing in my kitchen at home. Yet I still get psyched when I pull something off that I think is cool. It is even better when I pull something off for someone else and they think that it is cool. That sounded way dirtier than I meant it, we soldier on. So here are two more of the small plates that will be appearing at Jill and Sean’s reception.

            The first of the two today is a take on Gazpacho, a Spanish soup that is served cold; it is a killer dish that can act as a very light first course or, in this case, a saucy little starter. It is very fresh and a little spicy. I am sure that mine is not traditional but it is very tasty. The inspiration for this dish came from a whole bunch of my friends who swear up and down that a spicy Caesar is the very best hangover cure in the world. I have taken some of the flavors that I associate with a Caesar and worked them into this recipe and played with the presentation to reflect the dishes origin. I hope that you dig it.

Gazpacho a la Caesar to the tune of Friday I’m in Love by the Cure.

1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, roasted, de-seeded and peeled
Salt and pepper
1 bottle of tomato juice
1 jalapeño diced
1 tsp of cumin seeds toasted and ground
1 tsp chilli flakes toasted and ground
A splash of Worcestershire sauce
A splash of hot sauce, tobacco or any good sauce
1 cup of water to thin it out
A splash of balsamic vinegar
Cherry tomatoes
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped

-This one is super easy. Toss all of your ingredients, save the tomatoes and raw peppers, into a blender and blend until smooth. Tastes and adjust the levels of heat, salt, and acid to your taste.

-Run the mixture through a sieve to remove any pulp that is remaining.

-Skewer the raw peppers and tomatoes for the garnish. Pour the Gazpacho into a martini glass and garnish with the skewered veg. Enjoy.

            Now we move from an altered recipe to one that is a little bit more traditional. I have been playing with Spanish food on my kitchen a lot lately as you can see in this menu and one of the things that I have found and love to make is Spanish Tortilla. Now when you say the word tortilla we normally get visions of the flour or corn flat bread that we see in Mexican food. This is not the case with the tortilla from Spain. The Spanish term is somewhere between a quiche without the crust or an overstuffed omelette with potatoes being the predominant filling. Part of what I love about making this dish is the versatility of it; you can take the basic technique and put your own spin on it by adding whatever you want as a filling. I did a very basic one and then I did a fancier one with smoked salmon and asparagus. So this is one you can play with.

Spanish Tortilla to the tune of Don’t Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee

4 potatoes washed and sliced thin, I used the slicing attachment on my food processor but you can use a mandolin or just a knife. I like my spuds a little thicker but cut them to the thickness that you want.
6 eggs beaten
Salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic minced
1 onion finely diced
3 tbsp olive oil
That is the basic. Like I said you can add whatever you like if you want to try the fancy one you will need:
100g smoked salmon
6 spears of asparagus, roughly chopped and quickly sautéed  
50g of Chevre, un-aged goat’s cheese

-Crank your broiler on. Heat up half the oil in a cast iron or oven proof frying pan over medium high heat. Add in your onions and your garlic and let them sweat a little. Add your spuds and cook them until they start to soften, about 10-20 minutes depending on the thickness. Stir occasionally so they don’t burn or stick.

-Remove the spuds from the pan and let sit for a couple of minutes to cool so you can pick them up with your fingers.

-Heat up the remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Make sure your oil gets up unto the interior sides of your pan. Pour in half of your eggs and then layer in half of your spuds. If you are doing the fancy put your salmon, asparagus, and cheese in, another layer of spuds and then the rest of your eggs. Let it work over the heat until the edges turn a little brown and start to come away from the pan.

-Pull it off the heat and pop it into your oven for a couple of minutes until the top is a golden brown. Let it cool for about 5 minutes and then run a paring knife around the edges and then turn it out onto a serving plate. The easiest way of doing this is to put the plate face down on the tortilla, put your hand flat on the plate and then flip the pan over. It is easy just like that. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment