Monday 2 January 2012

Some Dressings for Your Salads


             
            As I have stated to pretty much anyone who will listen is the fact that my Grand had a huge influence on my love for food. Watching her cook from a very young age I was enamoured from the start. One of the many things that comprised a Grand meal was, no matter what, there was a salad on the table. In our house it was part of the family style dining, served with the meal not before hand. That was just the way that Grand rolled. The table would be littered with all manners of bottled salad dressings each specific to those who were eating: French for my grandfather, Thousand Island for my mom, Ranch for me and oil and vinegar for Grand. As I started to cook more and more I realized that made from scratch was better than what was bought in a bottle so I started making my own salad dressings.

            I started with a very simple vinaigrette, and then started to play with what I put in it. I would attempt to balance and or compliment what I was dressing. Someone, I can’t remember who, told me that to make a very basic vinaigrette you used 2 parts oil to 1 part acid. I have found that this is a really good rule of thumb. That being said, making your own allows you to play and tailor your dressings to what you like best. I prefer a little more acid in my dressings so that is what I do. I have not included actual measurements in any of the recipes that follow as I make pretty much all of them to taste and add whatever I think might be missing. This is part of the fun of cooking, a little taste and adjustment to make something a little bit better. So here are three of my favorite homemade dressings. Play with them as much as you like.

Simple Vinaigrette to the tune of  “What I Got” by Sublime

2 parts olive oil
1 part vinegar, I tend to lean towards apple cider or a wine vinegar but you can used whatever you like
Garlic crushed or minced, basically as fine as you can get it
A bit of decent mustard
Salt to taste

I combine all of the ingredients in a jar or a measuring cup and then blast them with my stick blender and I am done. If you don’t have a stick blender, combine them in a jar put on the lid and shake the living heck out of them. There you go, you just made salad dressing.

Caesar Salad Dressing to the tune of “Squeeze Box” by The Who

I make this a lot when I am having friends over for a meal and it always is a hit it seems. I believe that what makes it great is that it includes an ingredient that everyone thinks that they don’t like, anchovies. Please at least try it with the anchovies before you omit them. The thing that I do omit mainly due to the paranoia instilled in me by my wonderful and cautious mother is the raw egg yolk that is used in the traditional recipe. I sub in a little bit of mayonnaise to add that richness to the dressing.

2 parts vegetable oil
1 part lemon juice, preferably fresh squeezed
A couple of anchovy fillets
Worcestershire sauce
Some mayonnaise
Roasted garlic
Grated parmesan cheese
Salt to taste

Roast your garlic in a 400 degree oven until it is soft.

Throw all of your ingredients into a jar or a measuring cup and blend with a stick blender. If you don’t have a blender pulverize your ingredients with a knife and then use the shake the heck out of it method mentioned above. You have now made Caesar Salad dressing.

Coleslaw Dressing to the tune of “Beautiful Mess” by Jason Mraz

2 parts vegetable oil
1 part vinegar
Grainy mustard
Sour cream
A little bit of milk
A dash of sugar
Salt to taste

Combine and then blend or shake the heck out of it.

You can add whatever you want to these basic recipes, they are a great place to start. Enjoy my lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment