Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Walkabout Part 2 Food on the Go



            I am one of those people that you see walking around stuffing his face as he walks, the guy who does that weird stutter step to avoid spilling whatever he is eating all over himself. Yeah that is me. Part of any good walk about is finding snacks and meals on the go between your favourite bakery and your butcher. These are the spots that I hit while I am on the hunt for what I am going to cook for dinner. These three joints have never disappointed me so give them a shot. Three very different styles of food that make me want to try and cook that food. As much inspiration as I get from reading cook books and playing with food in the kitchen, when I taste something great it makes me want to cook so much more. So here are the spots that I hit on the walkabout.

            When I am walking around Chinatown I always get an urge for noodles. I am a huge fan of the whole noodle experience, the sticks, the white box, the whole thing. I dig it. So when I find myself in Chinatown I always seem to be drawn to the Noodle Box on Fisgard. They offer curries and won tons and a bunch of other things but for me, I am all about the Kung Pow Chicken. Simply put it is killer. I loves it. You can find them at http://thenoodlebox.net to check out menus and a little history about their biz.

            Sometimes a person just needs, and I mean needs, a BBQ fix. Now I will insert a little rant here, throwing something on a grill in your back yard is not barbequing it is grilling. Grilling is great and I do it a lot but it is not the real deal. Barbequing involves smoke, time and a little bit of magic. It is all about depth of flavour and if it is done well it is awesome. Now that is out of my system let’s grab some barbeque. The joint you should hit is Pig. Offering up brisket, pulled pork, smoked chicken, ribs and the most massive dill pickles it is all great. This is definitely a stutter step joint. They also offer up a good selection of bourbons if you are going to stay. I also recommend trying the crispy fried mac and cheese. Let’s be honest how can that not be good. Check out the menu at http://pigbbqjoint.com This joint is awesome and fills the hunger gap like few others.

            I have a soft spot for food trucks and stands. Maybe it comes from being a kid at the fair and convincing my mom to get me Mr. Spud fries. So I was so happy to see a taco stand go up in my neighbourhood I almost wet myself. Well maybe not but I was very excited none the less. So now we find ourselves at La Taquisa. Handmade tortillas, great fillings and a killer tortilla soup can all be found at this spot. The cool thing about this little stand is that all the recipes are from one family. You can check out photos of the family on their website. I am a huge fan of their beef burritos as well as the Rajas but everything that I have had there has been stellar. Great service comes standard with your meal. I have had the opportunity to get to know the folks who run this spot and Scott and Cindy are some of the nicest folks you could hope to meet. They are always welcoming and thankful that you have come in to eat their food whether it is five burritos or one taco. They are truly awesome people and you should always support awesome. Check them out at, http://www.lataquisa.com   

            So there are some places that you should check out on your own walkabouts. They are places that I love. There are of course many more but these are the ones I keep going back to. If you have any places that you think I should hit on my next walk feel free to let me know about them either by comments or hit me with an email. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment