Wednesday 21 December 2011

Brisket Via the Slow Cooker


           
            It seems to me that time is becoming a very valuable commodity these days. I talk to my friends and they all tell me that they don’t have time to put together a meal so they end up grabbing something on their way home from work and end up feeling a little ill and a whole lot sweaty by the end of eating. So here I go, delving into a bit of a paradox, using a slow cooker to make a fast and easy meal. The speed of this kind of cooking comes from a little bit of prep and allowing your slow cooker to do the work while you are at your job or out running all of the errands that you busy people need to run.

            Now I will say here that I love my slow cooker and I think that everyone should have one: for real, everyone. They make life so much easier and allow you to have a great meal waiting for you when you get home. I recommend getting the biggest one that you can afford. It is simply easier to have too much space than not enough. The other thing to look at, and this is more for my mom than anyone else, is to make sure it has long cord. My mom is very cautious when it comes to leaving appliances on when she is not at home so a long cord allows her to leave the slow cooker in the empty kitchen sink away from anything flammable while she is away. So that tip is for you Mom. The results that I get when I use my slow cooker have always been fantastic, from roast beef to soups and stews, they all turn out great.

            So here is a recipe that I made on the weekend in slow cooker it got thumbs up from my buddy Toby so it must have been a bit of alright.

Brisket on a Roll to the tune of Float On by Modest Mouse

2lbs of Brisket with the fat cap on
½ a bottle of red wine
4 cloves of garlic smashed
Salt and pepper

The prep of this takes about 15 minutes and when you get home you will be greeted by one of the best smells in the world.

-salt and pepper your brisket liberally while you heat up some oil in a large. Sear off the meat on all sides about 3-5 minutes a side. Remove from pan and transfer to your slow cooker.

-add your wine and your smashed garlic. Put on the lid set it to 6 hours on high or 10 hours on low. Now go about your business.

-When you get home pull your hunk of Brisket out of the slow cooker and let it sit for about 5 minutes or so then slice it up and pile it on a roll with your favourite condiments and sandwich stuff, like lettuce and tomato, etc.

            There it is super quick yet kind of slow dinner. I hope that it is as awesome for you as it was for me. Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment