Monday 12 December 2011

Salmon For a Friend


            So my friend Jill tells me that she needs some help with her cooking. This girl can cook; she simply lacks a little confidence which I am hoping I can help with. It is very easy to read through cook books and be intimidated by technical terms and beautiful pictures. I am also hampered by the fact that she does not eat meat but rather only seafood and vegetables, so no easy to cook pork chops or steak for us on this day. I think to myself what we should do and I land on salmon. I invite Jill over to my place and we get to cooking. We do salmon three different ways to show the versatility of a great protein. We started with a cold salmon, rice noodle salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumber, we moved on with soy, honey glazed salmon served over cauliflower puree and we finished with a coconut packaged salmon served over a fresh salsa. It sounds like a fairly intimidating menu but I asked Jill if she could do it again and she said yes. If you have any problems pulling these recipes off you can talk to her.
           
            I asked Jill for her favorite, the recipe that she would make again, and she said that she fell in love with the last course. So, here is my little coconut salmon package. Jill and I rocked some tunes as we were cooking away but the one that stuck in my head was Learning to Fly by Tom Petty. So put on the best bar band in the world and let’s cook some salmon.

            Salmon Cooked in a Package to the tune of Learning to Fly by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

The salmon part:

2-3 fillets of salmon about 4 inches wide.
1 lemon sliced, you could use lemon grass but we didn’t have any.
½ onion finely diced
1 clove of garlic minced
2 tbsp of dill finely chopped
½ a can of coconut milk

-Grab a large piece of foil and lay it out flat. Place your fish in the center and fold up the edges of the foil to make what looks like a rectangular bowl.

-Add in the rest of the ingredients over top of the salmon and then fold the edges of the bowl up together to seal everything in.

-Place in a baking pan to catch any drippage that may occur and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or so. Remove from package and serve.

Now for the Fresh Salsa part:

cherry tomatoes
diced onion
avocado cut into small chunks
rice wine vinegar
The proportions of this are all about what you like so mess around with it a little so you get something that you like the taste of.

-put onion in a bowl and add vinegar, let sit for about ten minutes.

-mix in your tomatoes and avocado and serve. Easy peasy.

Plate in a way that you think is pretty and there you go: Salmon for Jill. Give it a go and enjoy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment