Monday 7 November 2011

Thai Green Curry Baby


Sometimes you learn how to cook certain dishes for very strange reasons, well maybe not that strange. I taught myself how to cook this curry dish because of a girl. My girlfriend at the time and I had been eating a lot of take out and whenever I asked what she wanted to do for dinner I was met with the same response.... Thai food. We tried a bunch of different takeout joints but we always ended up ordering the same thing no matter where we went. Pad Thai for me and Thai green curry for her. I thought to myself that I should know how to make her favourite dish and thus the learning began. I scoured through cookbooks and the net to try and find an epic recipe. I tried a bunch of them but it wasn’t until I took a trip to Chinatown and began to screw around with more authentic Asian ingredients that I found my flow with this dish. She loved it and I knew that this recipe was golden and I make it often. I love the versatility of it because you can add whatever vegetables are in season or are kicking around in your fridge. It is also only takes about a half an hour to make so you too can look like a culinary genius in a very short period of time.
            As always I have go to music when I am cooking this dish. This dish is all about The Dave Matthews Band. I favour the Crash album because from start to finish it is awesome. There is something about Dave’s soulful musical way that fits with this dish. So Fire on some Dave and prepare for Thai curry goodness.

Thai Green Curry to the tune of Crash into Me
2 pork chops or 4 chicken thighs diced          1 can coconut milk
1 onion sliced                                                  2 tbsp green curry paste (use more if you like spicy)
2 cloves garlic diced                                       1 carrot sliced                                                 
½ a head of broccoli cut into florets               ½ a kohlrabi diced                                                                                                                                            
1 green bell pepper sliced                                1 red pepper sliced                                         
1 small can of bamboo shoots                         ½ a can of diced pineapple w/ juice               
2 tbsp vegetable oil

1.      Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add onions, pork or chicken and stir fry until the meat is cooked through.
2.      Remove meat and onions to a bowl and set aside. Add curry paste to the wok and stir around with the bottom of a large spoon. Add half of the coconut milk and stir to blend the paste and milk.
3.      Add garlic, carrot, bamboo, kohlrabi, pineapple juice, and the rest of the coconut milk. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 10 minutes then add broccoli. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add peppers and pineapple and cook for another 2-5 minutes.
4.      Serve over jasmine rice. Awsomeness in under 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment